Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Breaking Stalin's Nose, Eugene Yelchin

First book read in 2013! I remember reading about this book a while ago, but the library I work in does not have a copy (I hope to remedy that!). I was in a different city's library (because I am a library whore, no loyalty whatsoever) and saw it just waiting for me. So I applied for and got my card and then happily walked out with this little gem of a book.

My bachelor's degree is in Russian Studies (focusing on literature) and so I was really excited to read this book. I have spent a lot of time - A LOT - reading adult Russian literature, so it was very different reading a book written about that world but told using the voice and perspective of a child. 

The story takes place during the 1930's in a Moscow that lived in fear of Stalin's dictatorial hold over what was still the Soviet Union. Little Sasha, only ten years old, is a firm believer in Communism and just might be Stalin's biggest fan. Sasha's father works for the state police which was Stalin's means of hunting down and arresting (usually executing) enemies of the state. Most of these "enemies" were totally innocent, but that did not matter. One day though, the state police arrive at Sasha's communal home and take his father away. How could this be? His father was once commended by Stalin for his excellent work. And on this day of all days? Today is the day Sasha gets to join the Soviet Young Pioneers! This is the day he has been dreaming of since he was 6 years old. Surely Comrade Stalin will fix this, but if he doesn't, what will Sasha do? This day turns out to be a life-altering day for the young boy as his eyes are opened to a reality he never knew existed.

The little boy in this story has to deal in one day with his entire world collapsing around him, learning truths no child should ever have to learn, and he has to do it all on his own. The book ends in a rather cliffhanger way, and is almost too neat in the way it happens, but overall, I felt that it was a very good telling of one boy's passage into adulthood, albeit one that happened far too soon. The violence is implied but never actually seen and so younger readers should be okay with this one. I would hope that children reading this would go to the adults around them and start asking important questions about blind trust and secrets that our societies keep. I would recommend this book for boys or girls, age 10 and up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment