Friday, January 4, 2013

The Goddess Inheritance, Aimee Carter

When I was about 3/4 of the way through the second book of the series, Goddess Interrupted, I realized that not all of the books of the series had been released yet. On the day I finished the second one the dark clouds closed around me. I was just really upset that I was going to have to wait for the end. And then suddenly, the clouds parted and the sun appeared for I remembered the wonder that is NetGalley! I quickly signed in and searched...and waited...and the choirs began to sing for there it was! I quickly requested it and a few loooong days later, I had it downloaded and ready to go. So, before anything else is said, THANK YOU NETGALLEY!
This book picks up just about nine months after the last one ended. Our heroine Kate is pregnant but has been kidnapped by Cronos and his daughter, Calliope, who is still the very definition of vengeful and so is hell bent on destroying all that Kate holds dear. For her entire pregnancy, Kate's family back in the Underworld knows nothing of either her captivity or the baby that is on its way. But now, her husband Henry (Hades) has found out and is on his way to save her. Sounds like everything is gonna be a-okay, right? Yeah, um, not so much so. Cronos is not just a Titan, he's the Titan, and he is still pretty mad about being captured and locked away eons ago. So he's not just going to let Henry come in and take his pretty new toy away. What follows will quite literally be the battle to end all battles. With everything at stake, her own life, the life of her family, the life of every single person alive, what will Kate do? 
I did enjoy this final (?) piece of the trilogy, and read through it very quickly, but do still have a couple of issues with it. I was still not completely sold on the character of Kate. Just like in the second book, Kate was still so insecure about whether or not Henry really loved her, and just like in the second book, it got tiresome. I know that not liking the main character 100% should seem to be a complete hindrance to enjoying the book, but I really liked the characters around her and that made up for it.
My other issue was Cronos' destruction of a few major cities. This just seemed to be glossed over in the book. Yes, Athens was just destroyed which means millions of people just died, but hey, does Henry love me more than he ever loved Persephone? I just would have liked to  have seen a little more reaction from the various gods to the fact that the earth is being destroyed. 
Even with those two issues, I did enjoy this book and this series. I have a sneaking suspicion we haven't seen the end of these characters. Way too much room was left for either another sequel or a spin-off series. 
I recommend this book and this series for girls age 13 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment