Friday, December 21, 2012

First Favorite Thing, 2012 Edition

I really wanted to make myself do a daily entry on to this thing, but Newtown pretty much made me take a break. Just couldn't think of anything to say that wouldn't make me cry. Today though, I am going to try and give it a go again. I decided that I would spend the next few posts writing about the things I loved this year. Some will be children's books, but a couple of adult books will sneak in there as well. I saw a bunch of movies, so those will be here as well. Maybe even a tv show or two. Perhaps even a Duran Duran concert will make the list (spoiler alert: it will!). Consider it my gift to you: my favorite things from this year!

First up, one of my favorite books this year. I fully admit that I sometimes base a book on its cover, and so when I saw this one, I was instantly drawn to it. The Cranes Dance, by Meg Howrey, has a great cover, with a fantastic font choice for the title. I love how the girls look so perfect, but still, everything is just a little bit askew, just like the characters in the book.

If you saw "Black Swan" and liked it, you will love this book. It is the story, told in the first person, of a professional ballerina named Kate. She has a younger sister named Gwen who is also a professional ballerina. The two sisters dance in the same company. No stress there, right? Things get even more complicated when Gwen has a mental breakdown and is forced to move home with their parents for treatment. Now Kate, in classic older sibling fashion, has to deal with the guilt she feels. Even though she was younger, Gwen was always just a little bit better at dancing. Now that she's gone, there's no longer a shadow hovering over Kate. She feels bad about her sister's illness, maybe even a little responsible, but she can't help but also feel a little pleased that now she can shine on her own. But, does mental illness run in the family? Because Kate starts to go a little off kilter too. The copious amounts of pain pills she is taking certainly aren't helping. In her battle to find her own place in the company, will she lose herself? In her quest to assert her differences from her sister, will she end up being just like her?

The symmetry of this novel was so fitting ... it all came together like a beautiful dance even as it told the tale of one dancer in particular. The ending had me on pins and needles, so nervous. Just a lovely story about the family ties that bind. And the lines are just fantastic. One of my favorites is "I had to drink my coffee as bitter as I am". Brilliant language!

No comments:

Post a Comment