Friday, December 14, 2012

Goddess Interrupted, Aimee Carter

I read this second book in the Goddess Test series thinking that the whole series was already out, but sadly I was very mistaken and now I have to wait until February for the next one! Arggghhh!
For those of you who haven't read the first book in this series, The Goddess Test, the series brings the Greek myths into the modern world. Hades (now called Henry) had to find a new wife since Persephone left him to become mortal. After 11 unsuccessful attempts, Henry finally triumphs when he meets Kate Winters. Of course, it wasn't as easy as just meeting and then marrying, but to figure all that out, I suggest you read it for yourself.
In this second book, their new love travels a very rocky road, filled with a goddess seeking revenge, a re-awakened Titan, lots of self-doubt and the return of a former love. I liked this book and I really like the character of Henry, but sometimes I am not all that crazy about Kate. I have to remind myself that she is a 19-year old girl and so is going to react in a way appropriate to that age which leads to lots of crying and moping and doubting and second-guessing. This was one of those reading experiences where I want to reach in and slap the main character and tell them to snap out of it! Especially when you also take into account the fact that Henry has existed for eons and eons. You would think Kate would cut him a little slack. I mean, when every single other character is telling you something, eventually you have to accept that it's true, right?
The language of this series is very evocative; almost the entirety of this second book takes place in the Underworld which could be so bleak and drab and boring, but Carter makes it sound quite lovely (well parts of it; the parts where people are hanging over burning lakes of lava aren't so great). It can sometimes be confusing keeping all the secondary characters straight, but it doesn't detract in any way from the story itself. My only other gripe with this one is that a crucial part of the book is when the gods and goddesses have to trap Cronus, the mac daddy of  Greek myth, who is escaping his prison, but we never find out what that trap is and how it works. Maybe we will hear more about that in The Goddess Inheritance.
The end of this book threw a nice little wrench into the works and I am really excited to see what happens. Even with its few flaws, this is a great series and is a very quick read. I recommend this series for girls ages 13 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment